Thursday, December 5, 2013

Learning Together

Today I tried my almost flipped classroom.  It did not go how I imagined.  It was not a smooth transition from our regular classroom to a mixed online classroom, and looking back, I don't know why I assumed it would be. 

I learned a lot from the experience.  Firstly, I learned that Chromebooks do not open PowerPoints or OpenOffice documents.  This was a large cause if the students frustrations with the change.  I also learned that I am learning just as much as they are.  And that they need to know that without their input, this endeavour will not be successful.  

Many of the students felt frustration and started to give up before really trying.  This concerned me.  In life, these students are going to attempt new tasks that are not always easy or straight forward.  This was a great teaching moment! 

As a class we had a discussion that I was learning just as much as they can take away from this experience.  We talked about their ability to use this experience in job interviews or college applications, how this will help them overcome frustration and finally gaining skills in using D2L for future use.  

I also ask for them to come in tomorrow with an open mind; to give this another try.  When I asked who was willing to do this, the majority of them put up their hands. It was very encouraging. 

Tomorrow is another day and we will hope for success! 

What are your biggest challenges in bringing technology into your classroom?

No comments:

Post a Comment