Monday, December 30, 2013

Proud to be Canadian

Over the holiday I have been lucky enough to travel.  Even though I am not sitting at my desk prepping for lessons, I am still constantly thinking about the classroom. 

Today was one of those relatable moments.  As I was walking around Copahagen, attempting to find the Hop On Hop Off Bus, I noticed someone waving their hand at me while I walked by.  The first thought was this is not for me, who would know me in Denmark, but then it clicked.  

She was waving with a 2013 Red Canadian Mitten.  I was wearing my 2012 Red Mittens and this is how she picked out I was also from Canada!  What a lovely surprise.  We had our moment, while crossing the street to let each other know we were not alone and had friends all over that big world we live in.  I didn't have a chance to speak with the 2013 Red Mitten lady but after our encounter, I had a bit more bounce to my step. 

This continued throughout the day.  As I was walking, I started to notice more about the people that surrounded me.  I was noticing all of the different country hats and scarves and even jerseys (yes I even saw a Toronto Maple Leafs!!).  I saw and interacted, however briefly, with people so easily just knowing we were all from Canada. 

Now, how does this relate to school?  It is our sense of community.  It's the feeling that I get when I am at the Sobeys and have students come up to say hi.  It is that smile you get on your face when you turn the corner in the street and see a coworker or a parent of one of your students and stop to chat/wave. 

It's the sense of family our schools foster and nurture.  The comfort level that we teach our students in acknowledging people that you know and saying hi.  It's helping them build the confidence to go out and say 'hi' to your teacher, when you finally get your head around that the teacher actually leaves the school. 

This is what we as teachers foster, and it is truly a part of being Canadian - always feeling like you are close to home.  

No comments:

Post a Comment