Friday, January 10, 2014

Looking for Clues

After travelling over the holiday I have had the opportunity to look back and reflect on what I learned.  Travelling to a different country with a different language, I found that I resorted to looking for clues; something my students do every day! 

When travelling I looked for clues such as words that looked familiar to the English or images that I could relate to.  I looked for friendly faces toast for help and stayed away from those who looked like they would shoot me down.  I was nervous to take risks; to fail. This gave me the opportunity to realize what many of the students go through each day. 

Our students come into class and some need to use the clues they find to participate in class, especially when they have missed a lesson or do not feel confidence in the material covered priored. They looked for friendly faces to ask for help and have to feel comfortable in the situation to take that risk.  

Our relationships with the students and our lessons designed with clue finding help our students find their own confidence and gain unstanding of the content. 

How do you help your students with finding clues in your lesson?  How do you develop a safe environment for students to ask questions to help their understanding?

No comments:

Post a Comment