Wednesday, October 30, 2013

The Power of NO

Today I had the privilege to attend a classroom management session by Rick Smith.  It was amazing!  I learned so much, reinforced what I was doing and gave me many practical items to take back to my classroom. 

Looking back on it immediately, one thing has stuck out to me and it is the power of no.  We all know as teachers that we make decisions and that the students need to follow them.  In a secondary classroom, I find myself explaining the reasons for these decisions that takes away from the class discussion or activity.  These explanations usually allow the students to  argue about the decision made.  This affects my authority as a teacher in the classroom and distracts not only the students but all of the other students in the class.  Rick suggested keeping your vocabulary to two statements - can you guess what they are? 

1) No

2) I understand and the answer is No

I think these two statements are very powerful.  Firstly, the student is going to run out of excuses or reasons and stop sooner or later.  Secondly, this gives us as teachers an easier chance to hold our ground.  

I think that it is important, as a secondary teacher, that I give opportunity at a later time to provide that learning opportunity to the student on why I made my decision; but I agree that it is should be expressed later. 

With this strategy in mind, I am going to start implementing it immediately.  I have a couple students with exceptionalities and I think this will minimize the confrontation in the lesson.  In addition, this will minimize the number of the students who like to leave class to "wander" and chat with friends.  My goal will be to use this strategy in at least two conversations/confrontations/arguments I have with students between now and Friday.  I know that it is not realistic to have it in all of my interactions right now, but I will make a start! 

No comments:

Post a Comment